Re: Artificial Hatching of Ram Eggs

About artificially hatching ram eggs.  I've raised lots of rams.
However, they, in my experience, are tricky.  If I can leave them with
the parents for a few days after they are free swimming I have much
better luck.  In your case, that doesn't appear to be an option.  So I
would use water from the parent's tank which should be soft and slightly
acidic at 80 degrees.  Place the airstone near the slate with eggs and
wait for them to hatch.  When they are free swimming feed them
microworms until they can eat brine shrimp(this usually takes 3-4 days).
I try to keep the water very clean by siphonng 50% every 2-3 days.
Sometimes for no apparent reason they all or at least most of them die
after 3-4 days of free swimmig.  If i can leave them with the parents
for 1-3 days, they seem to do much better.

Joe Hildreth
15 Cedar Street
Potsdam,NY 13676