Re: sex reversal in apistos

Brian Skidmore of Tampa, Florida had a breeding pair of borelli where one of the fish (dont remember which one), after the death of its mate changed sex and reproduced again as a member of the opposite sex.  He wrote an elaborate article about it in the local journal.

Vinny

Tom Wojtech wrote:
I met a lady when I was judging a show for the Peoria, IL club who had a pair
of A. agassizi which produced babies and the male died. It took her a while
to find more and the four she found were very young and unsexable. She had
them with the much larger female who eventually changed into a functional
male who bred with one of what turned out to be 4 small females. She did
write an article on her experience for their publication. Since she was
working with so few fish so as to be sure she didn't mix them up; she
convinced me.

Tom Wojtech