Re: Pelvicachromis species

Hi

In my experience the various species of krib will not interbreed and I have
found that even locality types of kribs will not interbreed - however this
does not say that I have been very lucky in my experiences.

It is horrible that quite a number of LFS will just mix pelvicachromis
species together which makes it difficult separating the species let alone
the at least 10 known morphs of taeniatus.

I would suggest you find a LFS who is willing to separate each "species" of
krib that are available. Given the recent availability of "wild caught
fish" and "imported F1 strains" now available even in Australia I think the
chances of inbreeding and genetic defects has diminished to some extent.

Personally I would be more likely to pick one sub-adult male and one
sub-adult female from a stock tank and put them together in a heavily
planted two foot tank with several hiding places together with a few neons
and nurture them carefully as they are shy fish. Once the female is very
content with her environment, she will then initiate a mating ritual.

Good luck with the Prince of Cichlids

Bill Phillips