Re: Id'ing Apisto Cacatuoides?

Slein Nesnej wrote:

> Thanks for the help.
> Sounds like everybody agrees that the darker one is an immature male. I
> really like the fin colors though. As far as I understand, the triple red
> apistos are as 'far away' from the wild species as possible, and the wild
> has only a border tip of red on its dorsal?

I've seen some wild fish with one or two red and black spots in the
upper caudal. It's nowhere near the spread or intensity of the aquarium
form, but it is a handsome fish.
To me, the nicest wild cacatuoides are the ones with immense
yellow-reddish dorsal extensions. If anyone ever gets that trait
successfully crossed in with the triple red form, then it'll knock the
super red macmasteri out of first place on my list of nicest 'designer'
Apistos.
-Gary