Re: Serious

E. coli is probably one of the most widespread bacteria that there is - its
concentration is usually an indicator the the level of faecal
contamination. It is usually a harmless bacterium but will cause problems
when the opportunity arises and a person's immunity is depressed through
some other illness.

Thrtough the widespread use of antibiotics over the last 40-60 years,
mutant strains have developed that are more aggressive and resistant to
most antibiotics (but that is another story).

Unless your fish are weakened due to some other cause, I would not see much
risk in changing the water with E coli in the water. If you are really
concerned, can you take water out of a hot water system (most bacteria
cannot survive over about 45 celsius) or else treat the water with a broad
spectrum cure-all (eg MELAFIX)

At 04:56 AM 5/25/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Considering where these little beauties come from and the bacteria and
>viruses that have come from their habitat, I don't think a little bacteria
>from around here would affect them at all. After all The trout don't seem
>affected by beaver fever around the B.C. area....humans on the other
>hand..:)..can you say " feet don't fail me now".
>

>At 08:04 AM 5/25/00 +0100, you wrote:
>>I'm no doctor or vet, but it is quite unusual to find pathogens which
>>are able to be effective in many different organisms, especially if they
>>have to enter via the stomach, it's a pretty dangerous entry route
>>because of all the acids and enzimes. I would expect that E.coli is
>>relatively species specific.
>>If you are really worried, have a word with a vet., they'll be able to
>>give you specific info. about this (the advice should be free:-)).
>>Colin

Archives"!