Re: Serious question about E. coli

>>It is easy enough to syphon water from a tank without ever having
to put your mouth to the tube. <<

I bought a syphon tube from Small Parts, Inc. (www.smallparts.com) that has a ball valve on one end.  You pump that end up-and-down a few times in the water and it will start the syphon or you without any hassles.  I don't recall what it ran, I think it was $20 with shipping.  That may sound expensive but it's been a great addition to my equipment here at the office where I have a 10 gallon and a 2 gallon set up.

One word or caution.  Add  piece of old fish net material to the valve end to prevent fish from being sucked in.  Such an occurance is usually no problem with a normal syphon tube.  You just have o fish out the poor little devil from your bucket.  But the valve has the ball and a spring inside that prevents the fish rom traveling any further.  I inadvertantly sucked up a female killie (Aphyosemion australe) into the valve and she got all bashed up from the rattling ball.  :-(

Bill Vannerson
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/william_vannerson