Re: R/O Units

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Mike Jacobs wrote:

> Guys.........Z-Man and Bob and anyone.........I'll risk showing my
> ignorance....it's never hurt me before too much....;-)  I've been using RO
> for years under the assumption that the "waste" water is a million-zillion
> ppm hard.  My logic is as follows..........if 1 gallon of water is say
> 200ppm "hard" and you push it through a membrane and you get 1/3 of a gallon
> of "pure" RO water (you have lost 1/3 of your volume) aren't the "hardness
> things" (chemicals) now concentrated in the 2/3 of a gallon of "waste
> water"............I know the filter traps some of the "gunk" and should be
> back flushed every now and then but is it really valid to say that if 200
> ppm water is going in then 200 ppm water is the waste
> water..............man, that shows how lazy I get sometimes, and how often
> we goofs simply accept that which we are told.  I need to go measure the
> "out" as well as the "in" as well as the RO.............please elaborate but
> thanks for the enlightenment!!!!!!!!

Actually, the laws of physics say that the waste water is a little
*harder* than the original tapwater.  I think the point that Don and Bob
make is that you can use the waste water similarly to how you use your
original tap.  So, for instance, if you live in an area that has tapwater
that you can RAISE apistos in but not spawn them, then you could use the
waste water for that.  Or if you keep Mbuna and Apistos, you can use the
waste water for your Mbuna.  Or Bob's point, which is that you can use the
waste water for your lawn or even flushing your toilet.  The point being
that the term "waste" may be misdirecting people.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com