Re: Tonics, Peats, and Buffers

>I bought a bottle of the Amazon Extract (or whatever the exact title
>of the Marc Weiss product is) a while back and have added it
>occasionally to the tank.

> From what everyone's saying, I think I should just stop using it.
>But, do I need to consider a massive water change, or just go on as
>though I'd never use it?

>Are we talking just plain-ol' snake oil, or snake poison?

>Stuart
>--
>Stuart Hall
>(sturob@swbell.net)
>(gasdocstu@my-deja.com)

This really is the crux of the matter. On the plants list, the lack of
bottle/manufacturer information was discussed at some length and
severely criticised.
I often think that the plants list guys are more on the ball than any of
us, not because they are more interested/expert but because they have a
fixed set of parameters to work on, curled leaves?: look at calcium
etc.
We, on the other hand, can sometimes believe in things without
necessarily having proof of its efficacy, because there are _still_ so
many unknowns; vitamins, acids and extracts etc.
Personally I'd go with what Eric said (he's _much_ more knowledgeable on
these things) and call it 'snake oil' until someone reall has _positive_
proof of its benefits.
Colin