Re: belly sliders

I have had some experiences with this over the years.
First I must say that I have never had a problem with
parent raised fry. This could be because any that do
not properly develop are eaten. However, I have my own
theory.

I think that there is often a need for physical
manipulation of the fry at certain points in their
development to encourage them to inflate their swim
bladders. I believe that this naturally occurs as the
mother mouths the fry and moves them around.

In an artificaly hatching process the fry are often
just left to wiggle on the bottom of the hatching
vessel until the are free swimming. If there are not
strong water currents moving the fry around I have
found that I have the highest incidence of belly
sliders.

I have found a solution to be using a piece of airline
tubing to pull up small amounts of hatching water
which I then blow back onto the fry. This moves them
around quite well. I would caution that this must be
done gently. If you are too vigorous you can cause
physical damage to the fry, especially torn fins that
do not regrow.

Finally, I would add that in my opinion it is always
best to have the female care ofr the young. Only in
unusual situations should you articicially hatch.

Bob