Re: when do wrigglers start to eat?

> Sorry this is a very basic question - how many days before wrigglers ought
> to be fed?
>
> The situation is I've had a pair of mcmasteri for a couple of years and
> the female always eats the eggs. I finally stripped the eggs and all
> hatched last night to produce 19 healthy looking wrigglers. I remember
> people saying it takes about three days before they need feeding.
>
> Also what do they eat at the beginning - is infusoria enough or do they
> need bigger food?
>
> They are in a 15 gallon tank, the water is RO, the filter mature, and I've
> got a UV sterilizer hooked up so should be alright for fungus and
> bacteria. Anything else I should be thinking about that is critical to
> successful rearing of stripped fry?
Hi John. As long as you haven't used Methylene Blue or similar, I'd
start with micro-worm, infusoria and BBS in small quantities as
soon as you think they might be able to take it. A good variety to
make sure they get everything they need basically, and there is a
small amount of food in front of their faces as soon as they want it.
With our Malagasy cichlids we've artificially raised them all up to
now ansd the only problem we've found is with;
1. Tetrahymena- the fry have no real resistance to parasites
2. Problems with digestion-they appear to have a deficit of gut flora
if they are raised in sterile conditions. Add a squeeze of a filter
from the adult's tank.
Apologies if this doesn't make sense, we've had a private view for a
big Dinosaur exhibtion and I'm quite hammered.
Pete.

Bolton Museum, Art Gallery & Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE
Tel: 01204 333333 ex 2190  (Direct 01204 332190)
Fax: 01204 332241