Re: more basic questions about wrigglers

John,
I notice with most of my apistos, which I move from the care of the
parents at around 3 weeks, that the fry hit the ground without mother's
signals. I hate to say it, but they behave scared. I think they are
doomed if they move around when separated from the female in the  wild,
and behave to just survive in the absence of the expected stimuli from
the mother.
I raise my fry in messy tanks. The bottoms are covered in a green hair
algae I like to pretend is java moss, and there are always plants. It's
normal for me to see maybe one or two fry in tank when I know there are
fifty. The fish come out in numbers as they age.
You're probably getting that effect.
-Gary