Re: Opal borellii... or NOT... not!!!

This is definitely the 'blue-head' apisto that I picked up at Petsmart a few
months ago (males only, of course).  Mine were sold as Borellii also, even
though they obviously are not that species.

Check out the serrated and relatively low spiny dorsal and the pattern in
the caudal fin, as well as the spot on the caudal peduncle and the fact that
the dorsal stripe is nearly always visible.

A little off-topic, but kind of related in a cichlid sort of way....

'Tilapia' of several species have been introduced to the canals, streams and
lakes in the Phoenix area.  My sons and I have a lot fun catching, examining
and releasing the different 'Arizona' cichlids (I realize they are African
natives).  So far we've caught only Oreochromis Zillii and O. Niloticus.
There are also supposed to be some T. mariae and O. Mossambicus (spelling?)
in the area.  I realize this a poor substitute for collecting the Amazon or
the Orinoco, but it was kind of a cheap thrill to catch my first wild
cichlid!

In case you're wondering, I have seen evidence of winter-kill, even here in
sunny AZ.

Happy Fourth of July!

Scott