Re: New picture up. / Questions about raising apisto fry

myapisto@hotmail.com writes:

> I'd like to know everybody else's experience with raising up borelli fry...
>  do you leave them with the parents or pull them out .. I've done both but
>  I've found that they fry with the parents grow up much faster.. except
>  there's less fry... i think it's because they swim to the other side of
the
>  partation where my cautoides eat them .. but i've seen the male munching
on
>  them also.. i was reading over the articles at thekrib.com and it says to
>  remove the male... maybe i'll just remove the fry next time.. I believe I
>  should have free swimming fry in around 2 weeks time.. my pair spawn's
every

>  4 weeks.. and I just received a borelli trio from someone else..

If the mother is good with them, leave her in there.  Males are
unpredictable.  In very large tanks with dither fish, they will sometimes set
up a larger territory that includes three or four females' territories, then
harem spawn with them when they are ready.  He will defend his turf and his
fry, helping to keep predators at bay.

In smaller tanks like we tend to use as breeding set-ups, he may or may not
be a good parent.  It's a toss-up.  I recommend pulling him out.

Bob Dixon