Re: Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Mike,
Thank-you for your response, but questions still remain in this thick head
of mine.

Will all my P. subocellatus fall into one of these categories?
a) P. subocellatus Form 1 MONAD
b) P. subocellatus Form 2 MATADI
c) P. sp. aff. subocellatus (of which there are 2 forms; larger and smaller)
or is there a fourth, actually the first; simply Pelvicachromis
subocellatus, "described...in 1871...(and) hardly ever offered or kept
nowadays."?

You also said, "Most "Wild Kribensis" that I've seen are Nigerian
Pelvicachromis species - mostly Pv. pulcher with occasional Pv. taeniatus
Nigeria forms & Pv. sp. aff. subocellatus."
What would you then suspect of "wild kribs" that looked just like the
picture on page 142?  The male is a mirror image with a more prominent black
lateral line. The female has the telltale dorsal spot, but is otherwise
colored like the male and the picture.

You actually guessed the nature of my greatest mystery; trusting the claimed
identity of another set; sold as MATADI.  They are not like the pictures,
nor the "wild kribs".  I'll tackle that later.

Kevin Korotev