Re: Opal borellii... or false fish

And that is the rub Mike.  Some would say that what you call "improvements" are actually
bastardizations - crimes against nature if you will.  Hell, some of these folks would
actually like to make it illegal.

I cannot remember the details and it was one of those crazy Killie guys that actually
did it.  He created a far more colorful fish through selective breeding and realizing
that he had lost the original strain, ditched his improved fish without passing it to
someone who would appreciate it, and went back to breeding the original strain - sicko.
I guess I have to admit that I am into experimentation.

If I could produce a "better" fish through whatever means, I would.  Problem is that
hybridization almost never does.  They usually do not look better and almost always are
infertile.

False fish?  come on, that is a ridiculous term.  What is it, a reptile.  Let's get real
folks.  We like wild fish for many reasons - challenge, natural beauty, you name it.
But almost all of us like really gorgeous fish.  Does how they got that way really
matter?

I think the one thing we can all agree on is we would REALLY like to know what we have.

Ok I lied when I said I would go back to lurking, but I would like to hear from those
who disagree.  I love to hear other peoples point of view instead of what kind of fish
is really on page 6013 of some book I don't even have.

I sure would like to have some of those wild Guppies.  Guess that does not fit with what
precedes but it is true.  You bring some to Cleveland,  I'll buy 'em.