Re: Opal borellii... or false fish

Hi all,

I'm sorry but i'm a bit late to answer these posts.

I'm sorry too, if my low level english can throw so interesting threads
as this one or as have been "Ram's deselection" a few months ago.

I really love the list, because i learn everyday about dwarf cichlids ,
i learn also about english language and i meet people around the world.

> George and Carol Richter wrote:
>
> > And that is the rub Mike.  Some would say that what you call
> > "improvements" are actually bastardizations - crimes against nature if
> > you will.  Hell, some of these folks would actually like to make it
> > illegal.
>
> Personally I prefer wild populations of fish to man-made forms, but I must
> admit some domestic forms are really spectacular (yes, even I keep A.
> cacatuoides [Orange]). But I will be the last to say my preferences are
> better than anyone else's. Actually my wife & I joke that if we find some
> product we really like, it will be discontinued tomorrow!

I do to. I don't want to fall in the popular ecologically correct way of
thinking that burns every progressive idea, but i don't think that
improvements with or without hybridations in a money making purpose is
usefull for our hobby.

> > False fish?  come on, that is a ridiculous term.  What is it, a reptile.
> > Let's get real folks.  We like wild fish for many reasons - challenge,
> > natural beauty, you name it. But almost all of us like really gorgeous
> > fish.  Does how they got that way really matter?

> You'll have to excuse Colin's use of the term  "False Fish". A better term
> might have been "hybridized fish" or "bastardized fish". You might like to
> know that French is his native tongue, and I must admit his English
> vocabulary is much superior to my German (to say nothing of my nearly
> non-existent French). I think most of us knew what he meant to say. As my
> English 101 professor used to say, "Any English that you can understand is
> good English. It might not be proper English, but is good English".

Thank you Mike for your help. But I mean false in false fish. Not in a
descriptive way (reptilian, avian or else...), but in a commercial way.

If someone sell an Apistogramma sp "Neon Bluehead" and that it is not
coming from and undescripted Apisto strain, then it's a false fish or a
cheating fish if you prefer. There's a lie behind, and an apisto lover
of good faith (as we are) can be fooled and can buy these fish, breed it
and unknowingly fool other apisto lovers of good faith.

> > I think the one thing we can all agree on is we would REALLY like to
> know what we have.
>
> Me too, and it's getting more difficult where apistos are concerned. Come
> to the ASG meeting and see my slides. Not much talking, but you'll see
> more forms of apistos than you can believe exist - and I don't have photos
> of all the forms that I know about! The more forms we discover the more
> complicated the genus becomes!

Reading this list , i've learn that Apistophilie and "cichlidofolie" is
not a joke. It's a fascinating time consuming hobby, and somewhere, it
goes very near or inside science. Science is a benefit for humankind,
but we all know that it can become a threat to us.
So i wish i'll continue to be alerted by what in my opinion can lead to
an interesting debate on the AML.

Thanks again for all,

Colin Dujardin.

MD, orthopedic surgeon, Lille and soon Strasbourg, France, Europe ;-).