Re: Baby rams starting to float

KBEAUDRY@SEN.PARL.GC.CA writes:

> I have a rearing tank with approx 40 ram fry.
>  However in the last two days I have lost one each day.
>  Can anyone give me an idea of their typical mortality rate in raising fry?

I've also had this problem with Rams losing 1 or 2 fry per day - as has
everyone else who i've spoken to about it - we came to the conclusion that it
was poor water quality - mine read as fine (0 NH3, 0 NO2) and I was doing 50%
water changes every 3 days but the problems still occured - I increased water
changes to 40% every day and losses stopped.  I also culled quite heavily to
concentrate on a few excellent fish rather than a larger number of mediocre
fish.

As the fish get bigger (largest are 24mm now) they seem more tolerant and so
I've dropped to 40% every other day - looks like being 14 big fish and about
10 smaller ones.  Incidently I also had 6 Apisto cacutoides fry in with the
Rams and have not lost any of those.

Alan W