Crenicara and Spectrum Food

Hi all. A while ago someone was asking about the paper 'Crenicara
punctulata is a sequential protogynous hermaphrodite'.
Having got the paper recently the main point of contention that I
can find with it is that no actual reproduction occured. Colour
pattern was used to ascertain sex, which as we know is not a
reliable guide in Cichlids. With the presence of 'sneaker' males in
other Dwarf Cichlid species there is a possibility that this state
could exist in Crenicara.
I would have liked to have seen the experiment carried through to
observation of spawning and subsequent isolation of definite
females.
It's a very interesting piece of work though and well worth obtaining
if you haven't already. Your local library should be able to get a
reprint for you.
Someone else was asking about New Life Spectrum foods. I
obtained some of three different grades a couple of weeks ago to
try out. Some of the fine grade made it's way home to try out on
my Biotodoma, Satanoperca and other fish, the rest has stayed
here at work. I know it's only been a short length of time but as
long as I can get a reliable source it's going to be a staple part of
the diet for my fish at home from now on. The fish respond to it
more eagerly than any other dry food, and even small Tetras can
deal with the fine grade. So it gets my vote. Haven't tried it on
Apisto's other than steindachneri, but they'd eat sawdust if it was
offered. Some species won't eat dry food no matter what it is, but if
they're going to eat any it'll be this.

Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE