Re: Crenicara and Spectrum Food

On the subject of hermaphrodism with the Crenicara, I seriously doubt
that it takes place.  While cichlids are related to damsels, and a few
species of proper damsels (as well as anemonefish, which are also in the
family Pomacentridae) are hermaphoditic, there were  reasons for the
damsels and clowns to evolve this trait: the isolation from other
conspecifics as well as the competition for resources shared by animals
that have a relatively small territory and are forced to protect their
assets by any means possible.  Where is this in the cichilds?  In many
cases, geographic morphs occur and breed, for the most part, within their
"lines".  However, cross-breeding also occurs naturally when conditions
dictate, thereby assuring the surival of genes to later generations.
What I'm saying is that there is little need for these cichlids in
particular to go through this kind of physiological evolution.  Anyway...
just my thoughts.
Chris