Re: Apistos and corys in community tank?

Kristo,

When we collected on the Rio Solimoes, I got Cory. hastatus in water just
a little shallower than where I was scooping out bunches of apisto's.
It was very cool, one inch of water...cory's.  Two inches of
water...apisto's.  The color was great on the wild ones.  Now I have them
in a community tank with the apisto's and splash tetras I pulled out of
the same local.  There are probably 15 apistois in the 40 gallon, along
with the cory's and tetra's.  Despite that density there are a few apisto
fry that manage to make it and grow up.  It has been really nice to
observe community behavior.  If you want to raise lots of fry though it is
probably best not to have them/a lot of fish in the tank.

Pete Johnson use to keep pygmaes or hastatus in with his spawning fish as
well.  Not sure if he noticed fry loss.  I would suspect they would pick
off a few fry.

Kathy