Re: Sacrimontis or pulcher ?

Simon,

Here's my 2¢ worth. I agree with Gary. I believe Pv. sacrimontis is still an
invalid name and probably now nomen nudem, since Linke & Staeck published the
name in their book without any scientific description. Dr. Loiselle considers it
valid by their reference to an unpublished paper by Thys (Pv. sacrimontis Thys in
Linke & Staeck 1981). This, I feel is pushing a scientific name beyond the limit.
A lot of this, I am sure, is due to Loselle's loyalty to Thys, his old mentor.
For now I call it Pv. sp. aff. pulcher, the Giant Krib.

Contrary to Gary, I believe that the Giant Krib is a species separate from the
Common Krib, Pv. pulcher. The Giant Krib is a soft water upland species. The
Common Krib is more generally distributed throughout the Niger delta. The Giant
Krib can grow to 6"/15cm while the Common Krib rarely exceeds 4"/10cm. The two
species can be separated by color on the tail and gill cover. The Giant Krib will
always show a turquoise stripe below the eye and on the gill cover. The males
have a turquoise band that borders the outer red band on the upper lobe of the
tail fin. None of the many color forms of the Common Krib show this turquoise
color on the face or tail.

I have never heard of any interbreeding but I imagine it is possible if the fish
are given no choice. Kribs are notoriously slow to pair off. I've had Common
Kribs take 6 months or more before the urge to breed started. Then again, I've
had Common Kribs breed within a few weeks. The fish are all individuals in this
respect.

Check your female & new male for the turquoise on the gill & tail. If it is
there, you have a wonderful fish that needs to be bred in captivity. The rain
forest of its home waters is rapidly being cut down for agricultural land. The
Giant Krib is now in danger of disappearing in the wild due to habitat loss. The
Giant Krib will breed in water similar to the Common Krib, but sex ratios tend to
be skewed radically. It is best to breed this fish in moderately soft water at a
pH around 6.3 to insure roughly equal numbers of male & females. Hope this helps.

Mike Wise