Re: RO against Seradest

From: "Szalies Jean-Marc"
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 7:30 AM

> what specificaly would you monitor ? [JMS]

Sorry - should have specified pH here.

As you probably know (but others may want to), the carbonate buffering
system is one that equalizes at a rate that's not too hard to actually
monitor. The larger the volume involved, the more ever-so-slightly prolonged
it becomes. Aeration, of course, help restore a more normalized response
curve as gasses are exchanged at the surface. A standing body of water would
be the slowest, relying on essentially Brownian motion to effect complete
dissipation.

This is offset back toward the "quicker" side as the KH decreases, because
the decrease demands smaller amounts of immediately-available hydrogen. It
can draw from within the water without having to wait for surface exposure
or aeration to renew things.

> I saw 'granulated" peat. Any comment on this "granulation" ?[JMS]

It's the usual process I was describing that most companies use to prep it
for filters. It's screened for separation, "soaked" in an acidic solution to
remove most of the water-staining tannins without compromising its
acidifying properties, dried and milled to a more-or-less uniform
consistency. The theory is that the process gives you more consistent
results across batch samples while making it easier to use in a media
container.

> Great post, thanx ![JMS]

Not a problem.

And thanks for the comment...