Re: cotton mouth disease!

Hey man, fagedaboudit!  I just want to save her.

I just put a teaspoon of Melafix in the 20 gallon.  I will put another in
tomorrow. The male is the only other fish
in with her and there are some plants. I have an aquaclear 150 running on a
dark tank. The temp is 76,so I'll raise it. I'll put a box filter in and add
more medication.  If there is no improvement, I will do the salt thing as
you suggest.

Let us pray.

Francine

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 21:13:09 -0400, apisto@listbox.com wrote:

>  Oh no!  You don't know how sorry I am.  Had I known, you wouldn't have
her.

>  I may get disagreement on this list but what I would do is set up a
separate tank
>  for her and crank the temperature to about 82 or 83,  aerate well, and
put in a
>  teaspoon of salt per gallon.  In about 4 or 5 hours another teaspoon per
gallon
>  and finally, after another 8 hours or so a 3rd tea spoon of salt.  it
could take
>  up to a week for it to clear up.  It could also kill her.  It will kill
most
>  plants and I suspect it would do bad things to a biological filter.
>
>  For doubters, I fairly recently had a P. taeniatus Dehane that got 4 tea
spoons
>  per gallon before his white crud on his body cleared up.  The salt was
added over
>  2 days and withdrawn through water changes over an extended period.
>
>  I hope someone else has a better idea.  Now I have heard of people using
>  antibiotics but I have never tried them on my fish, but if you have
access to
>  them ..  ..  ..
>
>  I REALLY hope this can be cleared up.
>  FRANCINE BETHEA wrote:
>
>  > I just discovered that my female notophthalmus has a mouth fungus.  Her
>  > mouth is full of what looks like a small cotton ball.  Please help me
with a
>  > solution to cure her. PLEASE!
>  >
>  > Francine