Biotoecus

HI all. Those of you who are also subscribed to the sacsg list may
have noticed my posting about the Biotoecus I purchased over the
weekend. I'm afraid I didn't get round to posting anything on this
list, it's the school holidays here and I'm run off my feet.
Anyway, an update on their progress;
After buying three young wild fish from a local large outlet(very
emaciated, tatty fins) I was concerned about getting some
condition back on them. The largest was about 1.25" in length, the
other two under an inch. They had been in the outlet for a week and
that is a long time for fish like this to go without decent food.
I thought they would have a better chance with me than in the
shop, fish like this do not thrive on once-daily flake food.
Anyway, the next day the three I had were dong fine, so I thought it
would be a good idea to pick up a couple more, so there would be
some to pass on if anyone in the U.K. couldn't get to the outlet in
the next few days.
there were only two fish which really looked worth getting when I
went back, so I purchased these.
Unfortunately, before 24 hours had passed, the largest original
individual had efficiently destroyed the two newcomers.Basically,
when I got up the next morning they were stripped and battered,
one already dead the other very soon followed.
This was in 40 gallons of water with plenty of cover!
The original large fish was swimming round in a head down display
like Taenicara candidi looking for someone else to kill, but giving
the other two original fish no more than a quick chase out of the
centre of it's territory.
So why were the two newcomers wiped out but not these?

I can only guess that this dominant individual accepted the two
smaller original fish as part of the scenery as they all settled in, but
saw the newcomers as intruders.
It's now Thursday and all three fish are doing really well, with no
more aggression than the quick chases I mentioned.
If any U.K. list members fancy some but can't get to the North-
West in the next couple of days I'll try and get what's left (if any)
and house them separately until you get down (that doesn't mean
anytime in the next 6 months though!).
They really are beautiful fish. I thought the pics in Mayland and
Bork had been highly enhanced , but when these fish catch the
light the colours and iridescence are superb.
Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE
01204 332200