Re: Cyclop-eeze one more time.

Hiya folks...

I am new to the breeding thing so forgive me if I sound ignorant. I am
wondering what all the hoopla is about things that cost so much to feed
the fry with? I recently was able to spawn Microgeophagus altispinosa
(actually they did it not me) I stole about 50 fry once they were free
swimming the rest were eaten by the tetras in the tank. In the 1st 2
weeks I was able to keep 10 of them alive and they have been moved to
their own 10 gallon tank and will go into larger quarters soon. Brine
eggs are a bit expensive given my current financial situation and so I
used microworms (cheap and easy to maintain) as a first food for the 1st
2 and 1/2 weeks and they are now on a rotation of frozen (new hatched)
brine, microworms, and a mix that I made with crushed color flakes,
crushed spirulina flakes, and crushed (freezdried) krill shrimp. All of
them seem to be doing well and have doubled in size and developed all
their fins since they were free swimming (7/24). So at first I thought
that I was successful without having to buy all that expensive stuff but
then I thought about the other 40 fry that I lost. Could it be that the
microworms weren't nutritious enough? Or was it just a survival of the
fittest thing? They were in a 5 1/2 gallon tank perhaps I didn't give
them enough room? Please give me any advice that you can... I just went
to a fish auction and picked up some Macmasteri (and some other cool
stuff) that was I hoping to spawn.

Be well,
  Rich