Re: Cyclop-eeze one more time.

In a message dated 8/22/00 9:12:18 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
rgrenfell@snet.net writes:

>  So at first I thought
>  that I was successful without having to buy all that expensive stuff but
>  then I thought about the other 40 fry that I lost. Could it be that the
>  microworms weren't nutritious enough? Or was it just a survival of the
>  fittest thing? They were in a 5 1/2 gallon tank perhaps I didn't give
>  them enough room?

It probably isn't so much about giving them enough room as it is about water
quality.  Did you do a partial water change daily?  Did you keep an eye on
nitrate levels?  Fry are far more sensitive to nitrates than adult fish.  It
should be possible to keep 98-100% of a batch alive.  When we fail it is
either the food or the nitrate buildup.  Microworms aren't as nutritious as
some other stuff, but your fry would survive on them if you give them enough.
 That can also be hard to judge as a beginner.  With the limited information
available, I would guess water quality.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator       º o
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com               0