Re: native names (was cara pintada)

Tsuh Yang & Julio,

This is from Kullander's description of A. viejita:
"Etymology. Viejita is the vernacular name for Apistogramma spp. in eastern
Colombia; diminutive of Vieja (Spanish: old woman) vernacular for cichlids and
other fishes in various parts of South America."

I have read that some authors believe that it is due to the manner in which the
females lead their young like a mother ("the Old Lady"). Thus small cichlids are
called "little old women".

Mike Wise