Re: Apisto sp. "Cara Pintada"

I took a few quick photos -- good close-ups are the best way to study the finer
details of a fish.  A new cara pintada photo (I reduced its quality to 76K) is
temporarily at:
http://characin.com/carey/species/cichlid/apistos/00/cara-pintada_1000.jpg

I feel that my fish identifies with Julio's masken more than with "winkelfleck."
(See his links below.)  Two features associate my specimens to masken:  [1] The
posterior portion of the anal fin has black markings that run perpendicular to
the fin rays.  My close-up shows six such lines while I only see the four larger
ones on Julio's (but the shot is not close enough to see all this detail).  [2]
On the caudal fin, the rows of curved lines (perpendicular to the fin rays) are
moderately prominent at the rear but fade as they get closer toward the caudal
peduncle.  This is consistant with masken, but not with the Winkelfleck.

Granted, the second feature is not as conclusive, but the first is.

Also, note the horizontal streaks of red above the ventrals.  I think I see faint
but similarly-positioned red spots on Julio's masken.

I have not been keeping up with the newer Apistos and how their features differ,
so all I'm going to say is that I identify mine with what Julio has as masken
over his winkelfleck.

-- Randy