Re: Apistogramma hippolytae

Alan,

At the size you have now it is hard to sex them. As they get older them males'
ventral fins will become longer and not show the black leading edge of the
female's.

This is a blackwater apisto so breeding requires pH<6 and soft water. They'll
live fine in less acidic moderately hard water, but don't expect any fry. At the
proper conditions this fish is very prolific (>200 fry/spawn!) and long lived (my
pair was bought in March, 1997 @ 2"/5cm size and still going strong).

Mike Wise