Low pH?

Quick question on maintaining a low pH:

I've got a tankful (~7 in a 58G) of Dicrossus sp. "Rio Negro" that
are nearly adult.  I keep them in peat-filtered DI water,
ammonia/nitrate 0, blah blah blah.  From what I've read, these fish
can tolerate (and in fact might thrive) at even lower pH's, maybe in
the general vicinity of 4.0.

(1) What's the best way to test pH that low?  Most colorimetric tests
seem to bottom out at 5.5 or 6.0.

(2) What's the best way to BUFFER a pH that low?  The last thing I'd
want is a really unstable 4.0, since my water hardness (DI) is nearly
0.

Thanks.

Stuart
--