Maple leafs instead of peat

Hi all,
I picked up some nice Discus at a Discus farm in my area a few month
ack.( I couldn't resist I wanted to visit the place for years)
The owner told me that he uses crushed Maple leafs ,that he picks up in the
fall around his property ,instead of peat to condition his water for his
breeding tanks.He claimed that the leafs have more humic acids than peat
therefore work better.
Anyone ever tried this? My Maple tree is starting to color up and I have a
large garbage bag ready to be filled up with leafs.
Max