Re: Shrimp & Hair algae

i'm not too sure about the mole shrimp but i have kept ghost shrimp for two
years so i know a little more about them and i can share my experiences with
them :)
the ghost shrimp do start off eating algae but will soon discover that fish
food tastes better.  i think they still eat algae (i'm not sure how much) in
between fish feedings but they do make good scavengers of uneaten scraps.
it's really funny to see them hover in the water, flipping their little
flippers and grabbing food from the surface with their claws. i have even
seen some ghost shrimp attack snails, ripping them out of their shells with
their claws.  ghost shrimp also last for a long time.  i have had a few live
for several months to almost one year.  they breed very easily too, but i
have never had the shrimp babies survive in my community tank.  as for their
turning into fish food, i have not had that problem.  they camouflage pretty
well and the only time my fish pick on them is when they swim to the top to
feed on flake food with the surface fish.  ghost shrimp, unlike my bumble
been and small "amano" shrimp, are not afraid to walk where there is no
plant cover in the tank.  a friend of mine, however, who keeps discus and
pearl cichlids said that his ghost shrimp mysteriously disappeared one
night....

if you really want shrimp that feast on algae, i suggest you look for
"amano" shrimp.  i think their scientific name is cardina japonica and
stores sell them by the name "algae eating shrimp," "japonica shrimp,"
"amano shrimp," or "yamato numa ebi shrimp."  they're quite pricey around
here in california.  most stores i have seen sell them for 2.99 a piece
while i get ghost shrimp for 12 for a dollar.  i was able to buy my amano
shrimp for .99 each, and the pet store guy even threw in a few extra so i
got 10 for only five bucks!  amano shrimp also grow large enough not to be
eaten by dwarf cichlids, or at least i don't think they will be eaten.

i am new to this list as well and i think it's great!  it keeps my mind
occupied in between physics and chemistry and calculus!

i hope i could help you out but now, i have to ask you a question...
how do you maintain your budget, spend your time wisely, keep from being
distracted, AND maintain your tanks the same time?  i am a student as well
and boy, is it difficult!  but it's worth the challenge!

-frank
uc berkeley

http://profiles.msn.com.