Plants

I was looking at the krib on info on plants, and I think I am more confused
now than ever. I have a newly set up and planted tank, here is what I have:

tank stuff:
a 37 gallon tank
a 55 watt compact fluorescent bulb
CO2 injection
some special plant substrate that my LFS recommended

plants:
java ferns
pearl grass
chain swords
corkscrew vals
giant red rotala
dwarf ambulis (or something very similar)
a cutting of an interesting long narrow leaf Hygrophila
and two other plants that I forget the name of (if it is important I can go
back to the pet store and get the names)

I have been leaving the lights on for about 15 hours a day. After reading
the stuff at the krib I realize that that is too much and I plan on reducing
that to 12 hours a day (should I go less?). The tank has been set up and
planted for about three weeks and I have already had to scrape the sides off
of algea once, and it is coming back (I even have 5 otos in there for the
last week or so!). Could this be because the plants I have, although a lot,
are still small and not using up all the nutrients? If this is the case,
once the plants get bigger will the algae die off, or will I have to take
out all my rocks and stuff and scrape off the algae? Any suggestions on what
I am doing right/wrong?

Thanks,
Eric