Re: Altering Water

In a message dated 11/12/00 1:56:01 PM Mountain Standard Time,
festae00@yahoo.com writes:

> The main reason for my present inquiry is I'm looking for ideas on how
>  to best get water I need to age into a tank.  The situation.. I picked
>  up 10 Altum Angels at a great deal.  However, the water company raised
>  the pH so now I need to alter it.  I'm looking into an RO/DI unit for
>  that because the chemicals are just getting annoying.
>
>  My question.. to those of you who also need to alter water, how exactly
>  do you do it?  I'm thinking storing the treated water in a 30g
>  rubbermaid container then pumping it into the main tank.  Are there are
>  any better ways out there?  I apologize for this not being based around
>  apistos, but I figure the water conditioning relates.. I hope?

I feed the waer from my DI unit into a 45 gallon-tall (36x12 base, 24"tall)
on the top shelf of the fish rack and the siphon it down to the tanks as I
need it.  I made a siphon with a valve in the bottom of it from pieces at the
hardware store.  I don't have to start the siphon each time as it will stay
full of water between uses.

The pump thing is also good.  One of these days my kids will grow up and I
will be able to get my credit straight and buy a house.  Then I'm going to
plumb in my DI upstairs and have the fish downstairs.  With a garden drip
regulator for each tank, I will plumb the place so all I have to do is turn a
pump on for an hour, and the appropriate amount of water will run into each
tank and the excess will flow out through a self-regulated siphon.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator       º o
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com               0