Re: What's wrong with ammonium?

I don't know about ammonium because I take care to keep my tanks either
filtered adequately or planted adequately.  But fry are far more sensitive to
nitrate than adult fish.  Indeed if your 6ppm of ammonium were to be suddenly
metabolized into nitrite and then nitrate, the level would be severely
detrimental to the growth rate of the young fish.  It is possible that the
6ppm of NH4 will prove fatal to the eggs before they even hatch.

Bob Dixon