From: Rich Moore <richard.moore2@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 01:51:50 +0000
To: <apisto@listbox.com>
Subject: Ap sp. Glaser

Mike,

I attach a more detailed ID rundown for the pair of Glasers (I have used
your ID worksheet as archived at thekrib).

Some other specific traits I have noted include strong pink hairlines at the
junction of all fins to the body, and a pinkish patina to the tail.  At a
general level, use the Meinkeni picture pp90 of Linke & Staeck¹s American
Cichlids I Dwarf Cichlids, substitute a truncate tail, a non-trailing dorsal
and remove the lateral band.  Add a faint suborbital stripe, faint V shaped
lateral bands, 3 hairline irridescent blue spotted lines above where a
lateral line might appear, and the overall black speckling (almost Koi-like
!).

Again, your help and time are greatly appreciated...

Warm regards
Rich

Source:

*    What was it called when you got it? Ap sp. Graser
*    Was it wild caught or domestic? Unknown
*    What other fish (if any) - not just the cichlids - came in the shipment
with it? ³Larini² (?), ³Galaxa² (?), Moae

Size:

*    How large is it? (Use inches or metric, it doesn't matter to me.) 4cm
*    Does it appear to be an adult or a juvenile? Adult

Body shape:

* It is elongate and slightly compressed like A. cacatuoides

Male's dorsal fin size and shape:

*    Name a species with a similar fin shape. Gibbiceps/Hypolatae
*    Is it high or low? Lowish
*    Does it have any extended spines? No
*    Is the back tip extended (at least as far back as mid-caudal)? No
*    Is the top edge even (like A. agassizii)? No
*    Is the top edge serrated (saw edged) (like A. macmasteri) ? Yes
*    Is the top edge fused together, sail-like, (like A. pertensis)? or No
*    Does the top have extended front spiny lappets (like A. cacatuoides)?
No

Lateral spot:

*    Does either sex, especially the female, show a dark lateral spot or
patch on its side? Yes
* If so, is it very large or nearly the same width as the lateral band?
Lateral band very hard to distinguish

Lateral band: (usually better seen on females):

*    What other species has a similar band? Norberti/Nijseni
*    Is it broad (like A. agassizii)? No
*    Is it narrow (like A. steindachneri)? No
*    Is it broken into spots or a continuous band? No
*    If continuous, is it straight & even (like A. agassizii)? No
*    Is it zipper like (like A. sp. Rotpunkt/Red-spot)? or No
*    Is it zigzag shape (like A. borellii & A. macmasteri)? No

Caudal (peduncle) spot:

*    Is there a spot/patch at the base of the tail? Yes
*    If so, describe its size and shape. Thin, tall
*    Does the lateral band merge with it or stop before it gets to it? stops

Tail (male's):

*    What other species has a similarly shaped tail? Geisleri
*    What shape is it? round, squared off in the back, spade shaped or
lyretailed? Truncate
*    Are there any extended tips on the top and bottom in the male? No
*    Are there any any spots or pattern in the tail fin? A pinkish patina,
some blue irridescent spotting, random black flecking

Finally, list the dwarf cichlid books you have so that I can refer you to
certain pictures.

Dwarf Cichlids ­ Linke/Staeck

------ End of Forwarded Message