Re: Breeding (or eating) difficulties

Sylvia Kohler wrote:

> Second question--I'm thinking she's never going to get this right, and I
> should pull the eggs. I already have the lone survivor in the net breeder,
> with java moss and frogbit. It's large enough at this point for microworms.
> I am wondering whether I should move the eggs in with it, once they've done
> the deed. Any ideas?
>
> (These are tank bred and raised rather than wild.)
>
> So, is the pH an issue? Secondly, are there just some fish that never quite
> get the parenting thing? or wait it out? I would approximate that they have
> been breeding for perhaps 3 months or so all told, and for about a month in
> this tank.

hi sylvia

i dont think any one has a definitive answer as to why females eat their
eggs/wrigglers, I had the following experience with a female agassizi.
The pair were on their own ina a breeding tank and would have spawned
more than 10 times.  Apart from 2 times when I pulled the wrigglers and
raised them myself she ate every single spawn at about 5 days.

eventually i decided she was a "bad mother" and put the pair back into a
community tank.  about october last year the fish went through a
spawning frenzy in that tank and the female agassizi was no exception.
she had 2 spawns and both times raised the fry and looked after them
perfectly for at least 2 weeks free swimming, then the rest of the fish
in the tank got to them, but she and the male did a fabulous job

the differences between the two environments were
- many more fish in the community tank, whether they were competition, a
greater threat or a made here feel safer I dont know. Did she learn by
example from the spawning gibbiceps? (a bit far fetched i think)
- the pH was much lower.  community tank was pH 5.0 and the breeding
tank was pH6.5
- the size of spawns was much higher, breeding tank was <15 fry every
time, community tank the 1st spawn was approx 20 -30 and the 2nd was
over 50, well I actually removed over 50 7 day old fry and she still had
some remaining.

if you are finding small fry, then I think this is a promising sign.
maybe introduce another fish as a target fish to raise the maternal
protective instincts until she works out what she has to do.

hope this helps

steph