Re: Breeding (or eating) difficulties

Steph,

Thanks for your comments. I had them earlier in a community tank and someone
advised me that the environment of the community tank was stressing her,
causing her to eat the eggs/wrigglers. (It was speculated that she couldn't
well protect her territory. Cardinal tetras and killies were residents.)  I
moved them to a tank of their own with only 2 guppies as companions. They
don't pose any threat whatsoever, but I hoped they would be perceived as
such.

I'm thinking about your PH values. Makes me think it might be worthwhile to
tamper with this a bit. Question: What gets your pH in the community tank to
a value of 5.0? Is it just the process of nitrification that acidifies the
water or do you do something different in there? Do you use CO2 on that
tank? Second, have you ever had problems with ammonia or nitrite in that
tank? I had an experience where my ph went lower that my test kit was able
to detect (6.0). I also had a biological filter crash at that time, and was
advised that nitrifying bacteria can't exist well in an acidic environment,
and will die out in ph much under 6.0, which is _supposedly_ what caused my
crash. The tank basically had to re-cycle. (This was a long time ago, not
while the apistos were in this tank.)

Sylvia