Re: Fish pix and some whining :)

I learned that glossy magazines can use fairly high-compressed images in their
magazines without them seeming low quality.  Last year I had an article and
photos printed in a glossy magazine (not TFH) of which the editor wanted a photo
of me to accompany it.  So she lifted a 35K image of me from my web site and used
it as a 2x4 in print.  I was sending 700K images for my photos, but this 35K one
turned out fine.

I know that there will be some skeptics about this, but this is the lesson I
learned:  The images that we post on web sites or send in emails have the
potential to be used in magazines.  Of course the shot has to look good and the
resolution (number of pixels) has to be there as well, but with image editing
tools, a lot of fix up can be done to make low-K jpegs usable in glossy print.

I guess we can use watermarks or just add text over our photos.  That would
help.  The other thing is to archive any shot that we want to keep as proof.

Max, if you are certain that this is yours, email (or snail mail) the editor to
tell her that you beleive that it is your photo and why.  If they are interested,
they should be able to investigate and find substantial evidence to support your
claim.  If the photo you sent was compressed for emailing (under 100K), then they
should be able to see what size this photo was and question why it is so much
smaller than others that he submitted.  If you circulated the original, and he
sent in this original, then the jpg can be analyzed for the embedded Nikon info
that goes into each Coolpix jpeg.  If you need more info about this, I'll respond
off-line.  *IF* someone really did plagerize your photo in AFM, and this person
is submitting lots of photos, I would think that AFM would want to know, as long
as the issue is brought to their attention with care.

--Randy