990 digital pic tips

If you don't mind, I'll answer the Coolpix question. I've worked my way up fromt
eh 900 to the 950 to the 990, and now I'm waiting to hear what features the 2001
model will have.

The two best tips for good fish photography is to use a high f-stop (at least 8,
preferably 11 or even 16) and you must use a flash (some people use two or more).

The Coolpix 950 and the 990 have "aperture priority."  Use it and set it as high
as possible (usually 11).  Use an off-camera flash and suppress the on-camera
flash (in the menu settings).  The camera's flash causes glass glare and it was
never powered to pierce through glass and water anyway, so instead use an
off-camera flash and hold it a ways from the camera.  I bought a used Nikon flash
(SB25) for about $200, and it is really nice.  A remote flash is essential.

Since my shots are of fish (small fish), and not of the full aquarium, I use the
macro mode.

Apisto's tend to be a little slow moving (compared to the other fish I shoot), so
I can use the autofocus to lock onto a good focus.  My best pics are with
autofocus.

You risk getting reflections off the glass unless you turn off all light in the
room except the one over the tank.  And if the water level is below the tank's
top frame, light can bounce out and add your reflection onto the glass.

The last tip is one that I read about from several photographers -- and Vinny
includes it on his site -- one must be patient.  You might need to sit for 10,
20, 30, even 60 minutes before you get that great shot.  Professionals often wait
longer, I'm told.

As far as framing and composition -- you are using digital -- you can practice
all you want and it only costs your time.  I've had months in which I shot a
thousand pics.  I could not do that were I using film.

--Randy