Re:

Cameron,

I feel that the Aqualog book is OK, but has many misidentified species. We had a
corrections list on it over a year ago on the Apisto List. Check "the krib" web site
(www.thekrib.com) for it. Like Jonathan says it's mainly a picture book with very
little information on care or breeding. My opinion of Richter's book is quite the
opposite of Jonathan's. The photos of course are beautiful, but you must realize that
this book is almost 15 years old. Add to that the fact that Richter lived in East
Germany at that time and didn't have access to all of the new species available and
you can see that it isn't really complete. Then TFH got its hands on it and expanded
it to include non-dwarf species. Back then it was about all we had in the States so
people bought it. Now it is a wholly incomplete, outdated, & overpriced book.

If you want to buy a dwarf cichlid book right now, I'd say it depends on what you
want. If looking for the most species, get the Aqualog book. If you are looking for
more information on keeping and breeding, then buy Linke & Staeck's book "American
Cichlids I - Dwarf Cichlids. This latter book is a bit dated now, but still has many
species listed.

Next month Römer's "Cichlids Atlas, vol. 1" is supposed to be out in its English
edition. I know that it has been advertised in the ASG's Apisto-Gram and the ACA's
Buntbarsche Bulletin since December. David Soares (apistodave@bendcable.com) is
selling the book and taking pre publication orders. I have the original German version
and must say that it has some errors in it, too, but to a lesser extent than most
other books on the subject. In my opinion it is the most complete, species wise, and
accurate book for dwarf cichlid hobbyists out on the market right now. For someone new
to the hobby this book would be the first one I would buy.

Mike Wise