Re: sand

I've gone to a sand blasting supply company.  In my area (Minnesota) I can get
red flint gravel in many different sizes.  You can get it so small that it might
be too fine for an undergravel filter.  For black "sand," they have one product
called "black beauty."  (Someone once questioned its mineral content, but it
appears to be inert.  I have had black beauty in some tanks for years and with no
problems.)

The sand blasting supply company is where several aquarium stores (around here)
get their natural-colored gravel that they use and resell.  I think it cost me
something like $6 or $8 per 100-pound bag for red flint.  And they have other
types of "gravel" available on display.  Just look in the yellow pages (or on the
'Net) under "sand blasting."

--Randy