Re: German Blue Rams

In a message dated 2/22/2001 4:51:59 PM Central Standard Time,
satansperch@webtv.net writes:

I just brought home a bag of Blue Rams and they appear to be the German
type, (darker markings and more black,etc.).  Since they are manmade do
they still need lower ph like the original or are they like the angel
where the fixed strains are just as well off at nuetral ph and moderate
hardness?  I've also heard they are hardier than the normal strain.

I've bred several generations of German Blues at pH 6.5 - 7.0.  Hardiness is
less related to strains, more related to the individual fish.  Colorful fish
from LFS is typically past spawning maturity.  Rams begin to spawn when
they're 6 - 8 weeks old, long before they develop a lot of color.  In my
experience, though, the gold rams are much more delicate.

Willie