Re: (no subject)

on 3/2/01 7:42 PM, Piabinha@aol.com at Piabinha@aol.com wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i mentioned the earthquake topic in another list and someone asked me this
> question:
>
> In a message dated 3/2/2001 6:31:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> millern@wave.co.nz writes:
>
>> How DOES one secure an all-glass tank firmly to a shelf or stand?
>>  Any ideas?
>
> please reply to the list and CC messages to the above address, please!
>
> tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orchidspecies

I have not secured my tanks to their stands. I have, however, secured the
stands to the studs in the wall. I did this by lag bolting a 2x4 into the
wall (in some cases built up  a depth of two 2x4's sequentially to give me
the room behind the tank that I need for equipment). Then I used strapping
which I secured to the 2x4's and around the legs of the stand using wood
bullets. This is metal plumbers strapping. It is what folks around here use
to anchor their water heaters. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was
actually standing next to a twenty-nine gallon tank on an iron stand
anchored as above, at the very moment that a 5.3 hit with an epicenter about
ten miles away. It was not a long shake, just kind of a big boom. Water
sloshed about but all stayed secure. If we had a stronger or a longer shake,
I don't know how well it would hold. We are on pretty solid ground where we
are, though near some pretty big faults (SF Bay Area). A carpenter friend
did think anchoring the tank itself to the stand might be advisable.
 --
Daniel Gottsegen <dgotts@earthlink.net>