Re: Pictures of A. sp. Rio Malome

Scott,

If you go back into the Apisto List archives regarding this species, there's
always been a lot of confusion. I've only seen one specimen of this fish, at the
ACA convention last year. It was in a bare tank, of course, but the dark marking
were most like "A. sp. Mamore Blue" pictured in Matuzaka's Japanese book "The
Aquarium 2300 Atlas" (p.117). We know that A. sp. Malome was originally listed by
a Japanese backed exporter in Brazil. We assume (see archives) that "Malome" is a
mispronunciation of Mamoré [Mamoré to Maromé]. Since the sound "r" is not common
in the Japanese language where "r" is commonly replaced with an "l" sound, Maromé
was eventually changed to "Malomé or Malome since no one uses special characters
on computers anymore. All of this is circumstantial, of course, but without
seeing both Mamoré Blue & Malome side-by-side one can't be absolutely positive.
But for now I'm comfortable with the ID. I don't consider my ID absolute,
however, and it's always subject to future correction if needed. You have a
perfect right to  use any name that you prefer.

Mike Wise