Re: Hello/books

Hello All,  I don't post often, but just to introduce myself;

I'm a marine biol graduate, biological illustrator and lecturer in wildlife
interpretation.

I am in the lucky position that my tapwater here in North Wales (UK) is
(after standing) pH 5.8 and less than 0.25 DH and zero nitrate.

Curently I'm working with;

Dicrossus filamentosus - these must be the slowest growing fry I've ever seen
- only 35mm after 6 months.  100% survival rate, evenly sized brood of about
60.

A. nijsenni - once they start breeding you can't stop them can you?

A. hongsloi I - two pairs both breeding constantly, excellent parents too -
bringing a brood through

A. cacutoides - I finally got a nice unrelated triple-red male for six very
desperate females - four with eggs or fry now

A. trifaciata - it turned out only one of eight juvenilles I bought was
female - had a surprise brood in the 'growing on' community tank will be
basis of breeding scheme.

A. norberti - breeding but keep eating the eggs.  This pair is old - male is
3.5 inches long - I may have to raise them artificially before the parents
die.

Rams - the F0 fry from my old wild breeding pair - keep laying eggs in a
community tank, don't have the space to bring a batch of fry through yet
(damn those checkerboards :-) )

Non-cichlids breeding; honey gouramis, cardinals, Hypessobrycon robertsi

As far as books are concerned the English translation of Uwe Romers new book
is available at the natural history museum bookshop http://www.nhbs.co.uk/ on
pre-publish order (release date due June 2001).  They ship worldwide at cost.

Alan W