Re: Metal Frame Tanks

I must be doing something right because I've sealed slate bottoms with silicone.
I not only clean the glass and slate, but roughen the slate with medium grade
sand paper first. If you have only slow leaks you might do what the old timers
used to do. They cleaned out the tank, filled it with water, and mixed bentonite
clay in the water. As water leaked out of the tanks the bentonite would swell
(up to 12 times it dry volume) and fill the leaks with a water tight seal.
Messy, but it works. They still seal small leaky dams this way.

If you're looking for a recipe for aquarium cement, the old editions of Innes's
Exotic Aquarium Fishes lists 3 different formulae. It also details how to build
metal frames and set glass for you masochists out there. I've replaced glass in
metal frame tanks and it isn't fun. It takes at least 3 times the time of
repairing an all glass tank. Most of the effort is removing the glass (bottom
first, then the sides, & finally the front & back). If a front or back glass
needs replacing you have to tear the whole tank apart!

Mike Wise