Acclimating fish to softer water (Newbie question)

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me about a common method to
acclimate fish to softer water?

I believe that my new tank (20 gallon long) with
half tap and half DI water is cycled out and now
ready to accept my apistos.  But there is one
problem.  I did not take into a consideration that
my fish are used to moderately hard water before I
got the tank ready.  In the process of cycling the
tank, I moved a few juvenile platys and an adult
guppy with three neon tetras.  I tried to
acclimate these fish as if I am introducing them
to my regular tank, slowly adding a small amount
of new water to the container they are in (the
same water temperatures and similar pH values)
over a period of time.  Platys and guppy made it
through but two of the neon tetras died while
acclimating to the new water or shortly
thereafter.  I am afraid that they could not
handle the osmotic pressure difference.  It was a
total oversight on my part since I have never had
to do this before :o(

Because of what happened to the neon tetras, I am
thinking about doing 50 to 75% water change using
tapwater before moving one of my borellii male to
the tank.  This will raise the conductivity and
hardness of the new tank water back up to the
similar level to the tank he is currently in.
Before his brides arrive (hopefully soon), I will
try to find out the hardness and pH of the water
that they are used to and gradually acclimate my
male to it.  How long should I take to acclimate
my borellii, provided I have to change 50% of
water to DI water?  One gallon a day every two to
three days or should I take even longer to do
this?   Any help will be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Tomoko