Apisto tank, please help!

Hi there,
My name is Arthit Prasartkul, living in Bangkok, Thailand. I'm keen on
keeping apistogramma as I've been attracted by their beaties, colors and
campact sizes which will perfectly suited my planted tank. Unfortunately,
they are not avaiable here in Thailand where African cichlids are more
popular. Luckily, at the end of this month, a friend of mine will bring
some back for me from Singapore. Probably, A. cacatuoides or A. agazzisi as
I've read that these are good for beginners, like myself. If possible, I
might also like to breed them.

I'd like to do some studies and make the tank ready while I am waiting for
the apistos to come and my questions are;

1. How to set up an apisto tank? I intend to have 24" tank (about 20+
gallon) with sponge filter, with a think layer of dark gravel.

2.How about the water chemistry, pH, kH and dH? Is is a must to maintain
the pH below 7 for apisto? (Water in my area is about 7.6 pH.)

3.How important of dither fish?

4.Any more suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance. There is not any apisto book avaiable here
and very few Thai people know about this fish! I might try to get Mayland's
book from the U.S. in the future? Is it a good book to have?

Arthit