Re: Almost Apisto Related

Elachocharax is a S. American darter, one of the families within the
characins (and not related to N. Am. darters).  Just four species have
been described.  At adult age they reach about an inch (a true dwarf
species).  Darter characins have undeveloped swim bladders and thus
usually perch themselves on the the bottom or on plants.  The word is
that if they've been found by the hundreds in large "puddles' (1 meter
diameter, 3-4 inches deep) if no predators are in the puddle -- so they
sound prolific.  I just got some (E. pulcher) a few weeks ago and have
yet to set up a breeding tank for them.  Eventually I'll be posting a
page with photos on my site ( http://characin.com ).

--Randy